Leadership New York
For 30+ years, Leadership New York (LNY) has convened a cross-sector cohort of mid to early-executive level professionals committed to developing their leadership capacity and improving New York City. As we remain in a pandemic, LNY participants will join a class of civic leaders at the forefront of leading NYC to an equitable recovery from Covid-19.
Over the course of nine-months and 175+ hours of rigorous training, participants will learn the adaptive and inquiry skills needed to succeed in complex, multi-stakeholder environments.
Please note, LNY programming will remain virtual until City guidelines dictate otherwise.
Coro helped decode the big mystery behind the systems that make our city run for me, in my own words, through my own experience. Now as the Administrator of the largest local social services agency in the country, I see how interconnected we all are, and how nothing will ever move without cross-collaboration. Just like each of us were part of the mess – we are also part of the solution.
What Will You Get?
THE NEW YORK CITY KNOWLEDGE
- Observe the nuances within current challenges facing the City, to go beyond the spin
- Recognize how power and privilege influence public debate, to raise awareness and increase capacity for action
- Understand the landscape of NYC government structures, to know how to get things done
THE PERSONAL LEADERSHIP SKILLS
- Ask specific questions, to help make informed decisions
- Pace the connection between observation and interpretation, to understand what is going on
- Maintain personal ecology, to maximize potential and sustain ourselves for a lifetime of civic service
THE MULTI-PERSPECTIVE NETWORK
- Articulate and flex communication styles, to build leadership capacity
- Exchange feedback with peers, to expand self-awareness
- Value and incorporate multiple perspectives, to skillfully navigate courageous conversations and go beyond one’s own knowledge base
Who Should Apply?
Leadership New York brings private, public and nonprofit participants together because we believe it will take collaboration across sectors to resolve the City’s deepest challenges. We are seeking to build a highly talented, diverse, cross-sector cohort of approximately 50 professionals who are interested in expanding their leadership capacity. All will be committed to civic engagement and eager to participate in a learning community.
The ideal candidate:
- Lives or works in New York City
- Can demonstrate a commitment to strengthening our City
- Has a thirst for personal and professional development
- Is interested in actively participating in the Coro community and LNY alumni network
The curricula is most appropriate for professionals in a multi-stakeholder, senior leadership role who are leading change on behalf of their organizations. We are committed to building cohorts that reflect the demographics of New York City and in strengthening traditionally underrepresented groups in leadership roles. We welcome applications from those with the skills and knowledge to effectively engage with a multi-perspective community.
Cohort Model: Lasting civic engagement and social change requires ownership and input from multiple perspectives. Good leaders must be good at group-work. We actively learn from one another so that we can practice, grow and take risks within a supportive environment and encourage practical application.
Experiential Learning: Through direct exposure to institutions & communities, participants connect directly with individuals representing multiple perspectives.
Gold-Standard Personal & Professional Development Training: Trainers include Senior Directors Garrett Lucien and Maya Gutierrez and consultants Zander Grashow of the Good Wolf Group and S. Leigh Thompson of Go Beyond Diversity.
Key Program Features
Our experiential, cohort-based training method explores a variety of leadership styles and a deepening of one’s own style that develops an appreciation for alternative perspectives and provides new tools for leading a diverse group through change.
MEET THE EXPERTS
Participants are exposed to a range of high-level decision-makers and influential stakeholders — from CEOs to Commissioners to community advocates — through cohort-planned “City Issue Days” to understand how policy decisions are really made and why.
JOIN A MULTI-SECTOR NETWORK
Participants from all programs have a shared approach and connections for changemaking with a vast alumni network of the most distinct leadership communities in New York City, providing collaboration opportunities across the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
RAISE POLITICAL AWARENESS
LNY offers something you can’t find in any other program — it delivers a unique, civic style of leadership training built on understanding complexity, listening to multiple perspectives and leading change. Participants leave with a deeper understanding of issues than learned from simply reading the headlines.
Benefits extend beyond the program. Free and low-cost ongoing alumni offerings include skills refreshers, insider events, networking events, coaching sessions with program directors and access to the “Coro Classifieds” jobs and “Coro Commons” communications boards
Cost and Attendance Policy
Tuition for LNY is $6,000 for 175 + hours of rigorous leadership development training, individual and small group coaching, and access to Coro alumni and cross-program events.
Candidates are encouraged to seek their employer’s or another sponsor’s support.
Scholarships ranging from $500-$3,000 are available, with special consideration for applicants paying out of pocket and with the highest need relative to the request pool. We also offer customizable payment plans.
Through the TD Bank Non-Profit Training Resource Fund, eligible community-based organizations can receive grants of up to $1,000 for employees to attend programs like Leadership New York. For more information and to apply, visit their website.
We are committed to building cohorts that reflect the demographics of New York City and in strengthening traditionally underrepresented groups in leadership roles. Do not let financial concerns prevent you from applying; we are actively seeking a cohort of multiple perspectives and will work with you.
Please review the Tuition & Scholarships FAQ for more information.
Due to the experiential, accumulative nature of the program methodology, attendance is expected at all sessions. No more than five absences are permitted for successful completion of the program (leaving early and arriving late counts towards an absence). Participants should expect additional hours for planning cohort-organized events.
- Orientation and Alumni Welcome Reception
- Opening Retreat
- Cross-Program and Community Networking Events
- Free ticket to our annual gala
- City Issue Days: Public policy explorations of current, hot-button topics that are selected and organized by small teams of participants to educate the entire cohort
- Peer Consultancy Circles to work on real-time leadership challenges
- Personal Reflection Leadership Retreats
- Coaching in small groups to identify areas for growth and expand capacity
- Weekly civic engagement and personal reflection activities
- Graduation & Celebration
LNY 2021-22 runs from August–May. Programming will be virtual until December. View the calendar here.